Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Beaver

On our first full day here, my dad arranged for us to take a trip in a float plane - The Beaver! I sent Dave pictures, and he immediately informed me that it is a DHC-2 Beaver (so sad that he missed out on this!) We caught the plane down by the Eco lodge, and flew out over James Bay and then back over the islands to get a lovely aerial view of the area. It was quite the experience! Exciting to take off and land in the water, not to mention fly in a plane that small! The scenery was stunning, my sister said she felt like she was in the BBC series Planet Earth for real, and it was actually that amazing! We've seen the Beaver take off and land several times since then, taking others on little sightseeing trips, and some on big moose hunting trips. Speaking of moose, we ate it for dinner and it was tasty! (After about 17 hours in the crock pot and lots of tasty seasonings - all thanks to my resourceful mother) Also, I started learning how to bead leather at the sewing circle last night. I won't have time for moccasins :) but I might get my little pattern done before I come home.

Erin was a wee bit nervous, and made sure the pilot wouldn't do any loop-dee-loos before we took off
View from the air, coming up on James Bay
View of the "tea" colored river/sandbar. It looks like this because it is full of tannin
A faraway view of some of the islands and the little town of Moose Factory in the distance

4 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

That looks so fun! I'm glad you are having fun with your family!!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Wow Leanne! You are having quite the adventures! I still can't believe that your parents live there and with no roads getting there! Crazy. But looks like you are having a great time!

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO gorgeous! Glad you're having a great time there!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Jodi Reeve said...

It looks like a lot of fun! Beautiful too!

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home