Waterton Camping
While up in Alberta, we got to do some camping in Waterton National Park. This is the Canadian counterpart to Glacier National Park, you can even ride a boat from one end of the lake (in Alberta) and end up in Montana by the time you reach the other side. This place is so amazingly beautiful, its hard to believe I grew up only an hour away. (Try a google image search for Waterton National Park, you'll be glad you did). We set up a big tent next to my cousin's trailer and introduced Owen to camping, Big Scoop ice cream, surrey bikes, paddle boats, real live bears, and a never-ending supply of rocks to throw. We've been going here since I was a baby, so visiting this place often overwhelms me with nostalgia as well as beauty :) I LOVE the mountains!
Bear sightings were plentiful. This one wandered around the car and crossed the road a few feet in front of us. We watched him dig around under rocks for awhile before he finally disappeared.
Riding surrey bikes with the cousins. They were more into stunts, we were more into safety (I actually tipped one of these one time and the handle bar went into my leg... not great with babies in the front basket!)
The boring... I mean "safe" bike.
While we were there (camping...remember) there was the most amazing thunder/lighting/rain storm! It made us all a little soggy, and it made Cameron Falls turn red, and Red Rock Canyon turn muddy brown.

My dad built a little inukshuk on the beach. Owen was desperate to knock it down, but I managed to get a quick shot of it before it was destroyed.
My little nephew Mark kept offering to help my dad rebuild his inukshuk once Owen (inevitably) knocked his down. He must have thought it was a pretty cool idea, because he ended up building his own...
Cameron Lake... we rented paddle boats and enjoyed a perfectly beautiful and wind-free Waterton evening (which is rare)

5 Comments:
That looks really fun! We went camping while we were away too. Didn't see a bear, but we did see a moose! ;)
Oh my heart, my heart hurts so much! In a good way. Loved this post soooooo much. We will be there next summer for sure!
That was gorgeous! So fun to go camping in such a inspiring place. Miss you Lee-Lee!
sorry the "n" didn't type..."an inspiring"
wow! what a beautiful place that is! I can only imgaine how more beautiful it is there in person! Can't believe you were that close to a bear! Glad you had such a great time. Thanks for sharing those pictures!
Post a Comment
<< Home