Magrath Days!
On our busy little trip to Alberta, we also got to visit Magrath. This is where I was born and where I spent the first decade of my life. It's a little town (I think it's grown to about 2,000 by now) where people don't always lock their houses, kids ride their bikes all over town, and there's a good chance you're related to someone in your class at school...and your class at church. Every year in July they celebrate "MAGRATH DAYS" by having a town pancake breakfast (we love our pancake breakfasts), a parade (with tons of candy, and way too many water balloons), a petting zoo, kid races, (in years gone by they had lawn mower races - we also love our riding mowers), beef-on-a-bun (sometimes lovingly referred to as "fat on a bun"), a town program, fireworks, a giant bonfire, and an outdoor family dance (although the last two didn't happen this year... huge disappointment). We were lucky enough to be around for Magrath Days this year, we got to see lots of family (Magrath + Magrath Days = Highest concentration of Dahl relatives), and even had a big family dinner at the Balderson farm the next day.
You better believe I put Owen in the kid races "Two and Under" category. He's got some tough Balderson competition on either side...
As you can imagine, he didn't exactly get it... he took two steps, and turned right around and went back. Maybe next year we'll start training a little earlier :) We still got to claim his prize of juice box and a delicious Canadian nib.
Enjoying beef on a bun and the town program on the school lawn.
Owen showing off his best dance moves while listening to Magrath's finest in music.
I think it was the hottest day in the history of Magrath... maybe not, but it was a hot and sweaty day for everyone.
Getting ready for the fireworks
Sitting on the school track, waiting for the fireworks to start

They set them off in the football field, so they were a little too close for comfort (or so Owen thought)
Gorgeous cousins... I remember when some of these girls were BORN - weird.
Getting a quad ride around the farm
They mowed a croquet course in the the yard, and a serious tournament followed ($30 cash prize included)
Croquet cousins

Owen "baa-ing" at the sheep
Owie and Bella
Swimming at the waterslide Ramada in Lethbridge. This boy loves to wrap towels.
Catching a quick nap under a pile of animals...
You better believe I put Owen in the kid races "Two and Under" category. He's got some tough Balderson competition on either side...
As you can imagine, he didn't exactly get it... he took two steps, and turned right around and went back. Maybe next year we'll start training a little earlier :) We still got to claim his prize of juice box and a delicious Canadian nib.
Enjoying beef on a bun and the town program on the school lawn.
Owen showing off his best dance moves while listening to Magrath's finest in music.
I think it was the hottest day in the history of Magrath... maybe not, but it was a hot and sweaty day for everyone.
Getting ready for the fireworks
Sitting on the school track, waiting for the fireworks to start
They set them off in the football field, so they were a little too close for comfort (or so Owen thought)
Gorgeous cousins... I remember when some of these girls were BORN - weird.
Getting a quad ride around the farm
They mowed a croquet course in the the yard, and a serious tournament followed ($30 cash prize included)
Croquet cousins
Owen "baa-ing" at the sheep
Owie and Bella
Swimming at the waterslide Ramada in Lethbridge. This boy loves to wrap towels.
Catching a quick nap under a pile of animals...
1 Comments:
You captured the essense of Magrath Days/Magrath so perfectly that I'm seriously considering printing off this post and putting it in my journal. Haha! Excellent post, and great pictures Lee. I miss you! I'm so glad we're only 3 weeks away from hanging out again.
Post a Comment
<< Home