Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Pumpkin Time

You could do this with your pumpkins...

Or, you could make some soup.

This is one of my favorite "fall food" recipes. I got it from my sister after my 6 year old nephew told me that his favorite food was pumpkin soup (I know, right? Not exactly what you would expect).

Pumpkin Soup
4 Tbsp butter (I usually don't use more than 2Tbsp and it is still so very tasty)
1/2 Cup chopped Onion
1 clove garlic, pressed
2 Cup pumpkin puree (canned OK)
4 Cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 pinch nutmeg
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
2 Cup light cream (half & half) or 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1/3 Cup coconut for garnish (optional)

Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cover and cook until soft and translucent (approx 8 minutes). Add pumpkin and chicken broth. Stir well. Add bay leaf, sugar, curry powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and lower to simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add cream. Return to heat to warm soup, but do not boil. Add coconut as garnish.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Wettstein Family said...

I'm going to have nightmares about that photo. I am going to have pleasant dreams about that soup. Very impressive!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Jodi Reeve said...

That sounds really good, I think I will have to try it! Thanks

7:19 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Your blog is awesome right now. I LOVED the last few posts! Do you have any videos of Owen's crazy faces? I'm DYING to get my hands on that big boy!! Tell him his auntie Erin misses him and so does his cousin Jonah. I hope it's soon that they're together again. They can follow each other around and bite on cords together!

xo

6:52 PM  
Blogger Chad and Amy Hatfield said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe Lee! I'm just about to harvest my pumpkins and will give your soup a shot. Fortunately for me, my boys love soup and that's what we eat most nights. Your little man is too funny. I'm so happy for you!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Thanks for the recipe! I will have to give it a try, it looks easy enough, even for me, at terrible cook! ;)

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home