
So when I tried to open the curtains this morning, I discovered that they were stuck to the window. It could have been due to the thick layer of ice that was on the inside of the glass. It has been cold and snowy lately. Today it is below zero, -22 with wind chill. I have lived in cold places before, but I haven't ever had ice form inside the house. Is there something wrong with our windows? Is this normal? Any suggestions? I think the heating company is going to love us.
4 Comments:
We put up that ghetto plastic on our windows and I really do think it has helped. We don't get the ice formations on our windows. We did have a little ice forming around our air conditioner this morning though, I need to figure out a way to keep the cold out of that! Was your last bill unbelievable like ours?
We had the same problem when we lived there. Erica, we covered our AC unit up with a big blanket and that seemed to help. It is just too cold for me.
When I worked at Sandusky Glass we learned two causes of any type of moisture on the inside of the window (no matter what form :P). The most common cause is there is a gap somewhere between the stops and the glass. It lets just enough moisture in to cause problems. With as cold as it's been I don't think that would be the problem because the air has been too cold to produce much moisture, but it's a possibility. Another less common problem - the difference between the air hitting the outside of the window and the inside of the window is so different that condensation forms, and the air on the outside of the window is cold enough to freeze it pretty quickly. With the weather we have it's a good possibility that this is the reason. If it doesn't get worse, I would wait and see if it does it when the temperatures are a little higher but still freezing (somewhere in the 20s) and see if it happens again. If it does, then the stops on your window need replaced. :P
brrrr! We actually had this happen during the coldest bits of last winter in Iowa. Our heating bills really were ridiculous (are you eligible for any kind of energy assistance? it was really easy to apply for in Des Moines), even with the plastic sheeting up in every window. I do suggest that, by the way -- you can buy a kit at WalMart for cheap. And as trashy as it looked, we also hung a fleece blanket in Scotty's room which really helped keep it livable. Good luck!
Post a Comment
<< Home