Friday, January 07, 2011

Primary

This past Sunday marked the beginning of a new year of Primary (the children's program at our church.) Dave and I are primary teachers so we got a new class, and Owen also got to start primary this year in his little Sunbeams class. (I'm pretty sure he's the YOUNGEST one in there, since he birthday was about 2 weeks before starting). We don't teach Sunbeams anymore, so he's not in our class. We do get to see him while he's in sharing time and singing time though, and he actually did pretty well! He loves the songs, and thought it was cool to be in there with all the big kids. He seemed to like his little class too, and got this special crown that says "I am a Child of God". He was so proud of it, he wore it around all day after getting home from church, and even wore it around for the next couple of days while he played. Such a little dear! I can't believe he's in primary already!

The next day, helping me make lunch...
As far as our first day with our new primary class... things didn't go quite so well. We now teach CTR5 (5 year olds, turning 6 this year) and it was a semi-disaster. The three girls were perfect, two boys were pretty naughty, and one of the boys was SO naughty I wasn't quite sure how to deal with it. Throughout the course of the two hours I had my bum grabbed, was spit on, had slobber fingers intentionally wiped all over my arms, hands, papers, and even in my mouth (!!!). He was totally distracting during class, climbing on tables, carrying his chair all over the room, he finally set it down right in front of me and kicked my shins. Not to mention, I overheard some seriously inappropriate conversations between two of the boys (they are FIVE!) and wasn't sure how to deal with it. I've only been in primary for about 6 months, but was teaching sunbeams before this. I know some of you out there have probably taught older kids, and probably experienced stuff like this or worse. Any suggestions on how to deal with extra naughty little kids at church? I don't want to be mean, but man... patience runs thin after two hours. Help please!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would talk to the Primary president and parents ASAP! I have a Beehive (a 13 yr. old!!!) that thinks it's okay to lie on the floor during lessons with her legs showing and I've told her I'm going to invite her Mom to sit next to her during class the next week. That really freaked her out and the next week we actually had a Bishopric member sit in class. You shouldn't have to deal with behavioral problems like that- he's 5, not 1 1/2.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Isn't it fun!! I expect problems from the little sunbeams, but when they've been in there for a couple years they should know how to behave! After I had problems with my class last year, I talked to my friend (who is the 2nd counselor in the primary) and she said just to bring the kid to them and they would deal with him, take him to parents, etc.

The way I see it, it is not your job to babysit. You were called to teach them about the gospel and you shouldn't have to fight your way through class!

I would definitely talk to the primary president and see what they want you to do. Good luck! I hope you can figure it out soon!

Also, don't know if this would work, but I had the kid that was being naughty help me more. He came up and sat by me and helped me hold my binder. I didn't have any problems with him that week and don't know if that would have helped the next, he wasn't there, then I got my new class. Just an idea, it was his special job. I think some are just seeking attention!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Oh what a little Saturdays Warrior!!!!! Did you send these to GGHHD?

3:43 PM  
Blogger Gabi said...

I'm in the primary presidency in my ward so i would make sure the president knows about his behavior and she might have some suggestions. She might also be willing to talk to his parents if the behaviours keep happening.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Melissa Chorba said...

Oh Leanne! It sounds like the class I was just released from! I would definitely talk to the primary presidency about it ASAP. I highly doubt you are the first to have problems so they might already have a "plan" that works. If all else fails - it's mom and dad! I found with some kids that I had it helped if I interacted with them as much as possible outside of class (before/after church, at ward activities & if I remembered I tried to send them little notes in the mail too). Also, don't be your sweet little self! I learned with my class that as long as I stood my ground they figured out what the ground rules were and by the end most days were good (emphasis on most). Once I was a little more comfortable with the class if one or more (more often than not it was more) were out of control I would ask the kids that were being reverent to keep setting a good example to those kids that weren't. I made sure the little munchkins could hear me over whatever they were doing and that would usually do the trick. More than anything else though coming home after church and having a good cry and prayer helped me the most!! Good luck! I'll be thinking of ya!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

oh that's rough Leanne, I am sorry. I have had a few kids like that through the years too. Makes teaching incredibly hard sometimes. I had little cards with pictures on them that one particular boy(who had downs)would put up on the chalk board when it was time for that card. For example: I had a card with a boy and girl praying. So he would put up one of those cards for whoever was saying the opening prayer. Then if I had a story to share he would put up the card that showed a story, coloring, lesson, activity, and then closing prayer. That's what he was in charge of, so all the other kids knew next what we were doing. It worked sometimes, but other times he would just play with them and throw them around. I don't know. Every kid is so different as you know, so that is a hard to know what to do. Sounds like he is acting up to get attention, and even though the attention he is getting might be negative, like, "don't do that, please." or whatever it is, he is getting attention. I have just been called to the primary presidency, so if he is acting up just take him to the presidency like others have said.Good luck Leanne!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Where does the church stand on spankings? :) Its only January...things can only look up from here right?

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home